Putting in a fence? New deck? Irrigation? Save yourself headaches and money! Call 811 before you dig!
Since 1978, North Carolina 811 has provided you a fast and easy communications link with your local utility providers. You give us really quick information your project, where it's going, and they send that information to all the utility companies - they send out people to locate and make those underground lines and it's all free, and it's the law!!!
They just need 3 working days to get you digging and on your way, so remember, call 811 or 800-632-4949!
Locating Private Lines
You may not see them, but it's possible you may have on your property:
- Power lines
- Water lines
- Sewer lines
- Gas lines
- Cable lines
- Internet lines
- All of the previously mentioned
That makes digging a dangerous endeavor. Find out where those buried lines are by calling 811. Just one call and all those utilities will be notified - free of charge!
The call takers run through the questions in just minutes. Here's some of what you'll need to give:
- Phone number
- Address (including the county)
- Is it inside or outside city limits
- Is it in a subdivision
- A cross-street name (nearest intersecting street and is it within a 1/4 mile)
- Where exactly is the area you wish to have located; are you marking the area with white paint or flags
- Work date, time, how long will the work take, what type of work is it and who is it for