The move to build a library began in 1927 by The Woman’s Club of Clayton. It wasn’t until 1931 when the Clayton Library opened it doors to a small room inside the Clayton Town Hall building. Not until 1981, after Mrs. B. A. Hocutt deeded over her property for the future establishment of a library building in 1965, did we change the name of the library to Hocutt-Ellington Memorial Library. For more on the history of the library please read About Us.