When is a permit required?

Building Permit Required

No person or corporation shall locate, erect, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, demolish or relocate any building, or change the type of occupancy without first obtaining the required permits for the specific work from the Inspections Department having jurisdiction.

Building permits are not required for:

  • Nonstructural work where costs is less than $15,000 in any single-family residence.
  • Farm buildings outside the jurisdiction of any municipality.
  • Residential accessory structures where no dimension exceeds 12 feet.
  • The replacement of windows, doors and exterior siding in residential structures.
  • The replacement of pickets, railings, stair treads, and decking of residential porches and exterior decks.

Electrical Permit Required

An electrical permit is required for the installation, extension, alteration, or general repair of any electrical wiring, devices, appliances, or equipment except that in any one or two-family dwelling units a permit shall not be required for repair or replacement of electrical lighting fixtures or devices, such as receptacles and lighting switches having the same voltage and the same or less amperage.

Plumbing Permit Required

A plumbing permit is required for the installation, extension, relocation, replacement or general repair of any plumbing system. Plumbing permits shall not be required for minor repairs or replacements of plumbing fixtures provided such repairs or replacements do not disrupt the original water supply or the waste and ventilation system.

Replacement of Water Heaters

No permit shall be required for replacement of water heaters in one- or two-family dwellings, provided:

  • The energy use rate or thermal input is not greater than that of the water heater which is being replaced.
  • There is no change in fuel, energy source, location, routing or sizing of venting and piping.
  • The work is performed by a licensed plumbing contractor.
  • The replacement is installed in accordance with the current edition of the North Carolina State Building Code.

Mechanical / HVAC Permit Required

Mechanical / HVAC permit is required for the installation, extension, relocation, replacement and general repair of any heating, air-conditioning or venting system.

Show All Answers

1. Where is Engineering and Inspections located?
2. What are hours of operation for Engineering and Inspections?
3. Why do I need a permit?
4. When is a permit required?
5. How do I determine what costs to include on my building permit?
6. I have a Clayton address, so do I come to the Town Clayton for my permit?
7. What items are required when permitting a New Single Family Home?
8. I am the owner of my home and live in the home. Am I allowed to be my own contractor of work that I would like to have done?
9. When must work be done by a licensed contractor?
10. When does my work need to be ready for inspection?
11. Does someone need to be on job site to meet inspector?
12. I have a reinspection fee. Do I need to pay this before I can get my next inspection?
13. How long does your office keep records of the Permit/Inspections for jobs?
14. I have a storage building that I want to add receptacles and lights in do I need a permit?
15. I need to speak to an Inspector what time are they are the in the office and in the field doing inspections?
16. How can I find out what time the inspector will be at my job?
17. Is a permit required for a retaining wall?
18. When does a permit expire?
19. How do I schedule an inspection?