- Our Community
- Arts & Music
- Cultural Arts Grants
Cultural Arts Grants
The Town of Clayton works to encourage and facilitate an environment of artistic, creative and cultural activity in Clayton. Since 2008 the Mayor and Town Council have approved funding to support organizations and individuals that bring art and cultural events to Clayton, spark interest in arts programming, generate new ideas, and reach out to the underserved members our community. To date, Council has committed more than $150,000 to the arts. This year the Town will award $10,000 in funding.
The purpose of the grant program is to:
- Reinforce artistic and cultural opportunities and experiences for our residents.
- Provide arts education and lifelong learning opportunities for all ages.
- Support local and regional arts and cultural organizations as an important component of the economy and quality of life in the Town of Clayton.
- Celebrate and promote the Town of Clayton as an exciting, vibrant and creative community destination for visitors and tourists throughout Johnston County, the Triangle and beyond.
- Equitably and efficiently allocate resources to strengthen and promote partnerships between the Town and cultural organizations and programs.
- Bolster projects and programs that are compatible with the Town's goal of supporting Clayton as a regional destination for cultural and arts-based tourism.
- Clayton Cultural Arts grants are requests by individuals or organizations for specific arts projects - such as performances, exhibitions, residencies, workshops or lectures - that are publicly available and that take place in Clayton. (Please note that requests for operational support, [i.e., salaries, rent, etc.] will not be funded.)
- The Cultural Arts Grants program supports projects and activities in all disciplines that provide quality arts and cultural programming to Town of Clayton residents and visitors.
- The Town is looking for creative, innovative projects to help enhance our already blossoming arts community. Among other criteria, we examine each applicant's ability to operate independently and to generate alternative funding.
See the 2021 to 2022 Clayton Cultural Arts Funding Application (PDF) for more information. The application period is open from July 21 to August 26, 2021. All applications must be received by 4 pm on Thursday, August 26, 2021.
Have questions about the grant application? Email Cathy Marraccini or call her at 919-553-1737.
The Clayton Town Clayton Cultural Arts Grant applications are reviewed and scored by a panel consisting of artists, cultural arts supporters, and elected officials. This panel makes funding recommendations based primarily on the following criteria:
- Artistic merit and quality of proposed project
- Community benefit; service to a broad, unique or under-served constituency; and demonstrated need for the project (community support and interest in the project)
- Demonstrated financial need and appropriate budget for the project
- Clarity of goals and demonstrated ability to achieve those goals
- Adherence to the grant guidelines and funding priorities
- Clearly defined plans for the implementation and management of the program
2021 to 2022 Clayton Cultural Arts Funding Application (PDF)